Why is Firefox such a beast??

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sun Oct 5 21:17:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 21:11:46 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <Beartooth at swva.net> wrote:

> 	That section talks about error messages, and about the output of
> something called gethostname, which I don't seem to have. I don't see the
> relevance.

squid.conf is a CONFIGURATION FILE that happens to have a lot of instructions
for use embedded in it.  Everything that starts with a # sign is a "remark" and
is ignored by the program.  That way, you can have the instructions for use
right beside and along with the actual configuration directions that the
program reads and follows.

> 	I tried blindly adding a line -- so that the passage now reads :
>

> #  TAG: visible_hostname
> #       If you want to present a special hostname in error messages, etc,
> #       define this.  Otherwise, the return value of gethostname()
> #       will be used. If you have multiple caches in a cluster and
> #       get errors about IP-forwarding you must set them to have
> #individual names with this setting.
> #
> #Default:
> # none
> Hbsk2.localdomain
>
> 	-- except that I can't make it format right in this post.
>
> 	Was that supposed to make it work?

Close, but not quite.  Notice that the instructions tell you that the tag is
visible_hostname. You have to tell squid what Hbsk2.localdomain means using the
specified tag.

visible_hostname Hbsk2.localdomain

Like that.