3D effects query

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 18:01:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 18:55 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Dan Track <dan.track at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've installed an nvidia quaddro fx570 card and I have it up and
> > running in twinview. I've enabled 3d effects how can I tell if the 3d
> > is being done by the graphics card instead of my cpu? I'm only asking
> > this becuase when I shake my gnome terminal window II see a fuzzyness
> > as though it can't keep up the redraw with how fast I'm moving the
> > window, is this behaviour normal?

If you have 3D effects, the 3D is being done by the graphics card.  As
far as I know, there is currently no way for the 3D effects to work
completely in software.  And if there was, I doubt you'd get more than
1-2fps.

> Does anyone have a clue about this? Is the graphics knowledge limited
> on this list?

Not a good way to win friends and influence people.  I want to say more,
but it's probably better that I stop here.

Jonathan