Restrictions on key versions for rpm?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Sep 4 12:00:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 17:08:42 -0500,
  "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I was trying to import an old pgp key into rpm and it is failing without
> > a useful error message about why. The key needs idea, but I have that
> > installed. I don't know if there is a bug, a limitation or user error.
> >
> > [root at cerberus rpm-gpg]# rpm -vv --import gpg-pubkey-bruno
> > D: opening  db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages create:cdb:mpool
> > D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages create mode=0x42
> > D: locked   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> > error: gpg-pubkey-bruno: import failed.
> > D: closed   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> > D: closed   db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> > D: May free Score board((nil))
> >
> > I exported the key with:
> > gpg --export --armor
> >
> Dumb question - is gpg-pubkey-bruno the name of the exported key,
> and is it in the current directory when you run the command?

That was the name of the file in the current directory when I ran the command.
I tried some other names as well.

I suspect that it has to do with being a very old key. It might be specifically
related to the key using idea. gpg can work with the key (after creating
a library for handling idea).

My plan is to test a new key and see if this hypothesis passes that test.
If so it's really way past time that I changed the key anyway, and doing
that might be the simplest solution. Maybe I'll bugzilla the less than
revealing error message (even with -vv).