Script Test [OT]

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Sep 9 01:04:48 UTC 2008

Alan Evans wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Steven Tardy <sjt5 at its.msstate.edu> wrote:
>> kwhiskerz wrote:
>>> Is there a way a script can determine which computer it is running on and
>>> refuse to run if it is on the wrong computer?
>
>> man hostid
>
> On my Fedora 9...
>
> $ hostid
> 00000000
>
> Now I haven't bothered to check any other machines, but my initial
> impression is that this is not going to work...

I just checked the hostids on my 2 primary machines on the same local
network.  They just seem to be encodings of the machine's IP addresses.
  And since both are PC class machines, the addresses look to be
syllable swapped (but not byte swapped).

192.168.6.94 and 192.168.6.106
a8c05e06     and a8c06a06

So, I have to ask, does the machine you tried it on have an IP address?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net