Script Test [OT]

joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Sep 9 08:33:24 UTC 2008

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 08Sep2008 21:04, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>> Alan Evans wrote:
>>> On my Fedora 9...
>>> $ hostid
>>> 00000000
>>>
>>> Now I haven't bothered to check any other machines, but my initial
>>> impression is that this is not going to work...
>> I just checked the hostids on my 2 primary machines on the same local
>> network.  They just seem to be encodings of the machine's IP addresses.
>> And since both are PC class machines, the addresses look to be syllable
>> swapped (but not byte swapped).
>>
>> 192.168.6.94 and 192.168.6.106
>> a8c05e06     and a8c06a06
>>
>> So, I have to ask, does the machine you tried it on have an IP address?
>
> So, let us turn to the docs: man hostid says:
>
>   hostid - print the numeric identifier for the current host
>   [...]
>   The full documentation for hostid is maintained as  a  Texinfo  manual
>   [...]
>
> Gah. I hate this info-so-no-f'n-man-page rubbish!
> But let's go: info hostid:
>
>   21.4 `hostid': Print numeric host identifier.
>   =============================================
>   `hostid' prints the numeric identifier of the current host in
>   hexadecimal.  This command accepts no arguments.  The only options are
>   `--help' and `--version'.  *Note Common options::.
>      For example, here's what it prints on one system I use:
>        $ hostid
>        1bac013d
>    On that system, the 32-bit quantity happens to be closely related to the
>    system's Internet address, but that isn't always the case.
>
> Gah! Again!
>
> I don't think I'd rely on hostid for anything:-(
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

seeing the same (using dhcp for getting an ip address):

backes at eule [backes]: hostid
00000000

backes at eule [backes]: ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:76:C0:40:36
           inet addr:192.168.179.182  Bcast:192.168.179.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:86392 (84.3 KiB)  TX bytes:25620 (25.0 KiB)
           Interrupt:22 Base address:0x2000

Not seeing this effect on systems without dhcp usage.

Regards

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>