Backup Server RAID Suggestions - Resend

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:22:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 09:13 -0700, Mike McMullen wrote:
> Thank you Gilboa and James!
>
> Here's a little more information.
>
> Someone gave me the de-branded HP Athlon 64 X2 PC. So I have a free PC
> I'd like to turn into a NAS server. This doesn't have to be pretty just
> functional and semi-cheap.
>
> Since there isn't room in the PC case for the drives, let alone cooling
> and power, I figured some external case/RAID storage box might do the
> trick.
>
> This thing doesn't need to be the fastest on the planet just reliable
> and as inexpensive as possible. I need the money for lenses for the
> cameras. ;o)
>
> I've been looking at enclosures etc at www.pc-pitstop.com that use a
> port multiplier.
>
> These seem reasonable. Anyone know anything about port multipliers? Am I
> missing something big here?
>
> I'm definitely not an expert on raid storage.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Hello Mike,

The enclosures looks OK.
I'd get the bigger one and use a -lot- of small(er) drives in RAID6
+hotspare instead of using 5x1TB drives in RAID5.
Given the fact that most hardware controllers are limited to RAID5, I'd
suggest you use software RAID instead. (Plus, it gives you the option to
connect the enclosure to another machine and just boot).

One problem though - the enclosure + 2 x eSATA controllers + port
replicators is not cheap. (>1000$ combined).
Seems to me that it'll be far cheaper to replace the case with a huge
tower case with a decent (600w+) PSU. (Plus - dumb internal SATA
controllers tend to be cheaper than external ones)

Oh, get a -good- UPS.

- Gilboa