FC5 => F8 upgrade : advice?

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Tue Sep 16 19:16:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 07:25:55PM +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> 	I've come into possession of an otherwise nice machine (so I'm
> told; I don't speak hardware) that still has Fedora Core 5 installed. I
> want to upgrade it to F8 now, and F10 once that's released.
>
> 	Is there a best way to go about it, short of a fresh install of
> F8? It has a lot of data, as well as a lot of configuration, that I'd
> hate to lose.
>
> 	Any gotchas to watch out for?
>
> 	If, say, I upgrade first to F7 (because I know where my DVD for
> that is), and then to F8 -- do I want to update F7 as best I can in
> between? Or just go straight to F8?

Since this machine is new to you and old to someone else
the obvious question is what needs to be preserved?

If you wish to preserve stuff then do CD/DVD upgrades one at
a time.  In general a 5 to 6 upgrade works because 6 was tested
in exactly this update case.  Same for 6 to 7, 7 to 8 etc....

If this is now your machine and there is no need to preserve anyting
it is often best to just do a fresh install.   The advantage of a fresh
install is that you do not have to work through a bazillion *rpmnew and
other historic config files.  And, If I recall the default partition sizes way back in
Fedora 2,3,4 times were too small for modern Fedora...  A clean install
will get you partition sizes (including swap) that make sense today.

With updates, one important command to know is "yum list extras".

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?