32bit vs 64bit

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Sep 17 01:47:08 UTC 2008

Henning Larsen writes:

> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 21:29 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Henning Larsen writes:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have 32 and 64bit pc's with f9, I believe 32bit is less troublesome,
>> > Is there any big loss in speed running 32bit f9 on 64bit cpu?
>>
>> There's some speed penalty. Native 64 bit application benefit from having
>> more 64 bit registers on the CPU.
>>
>> > Is 32bit more stable than 64bit?
>>
>> Define "stable". If "does a 64 bit kernel crash more often than a 32 bit
>> kernel", the answer is no. 64 bit is on the parity with 32 bit when it comes
>> to general stability.
>>
>> Now, when it comes to non-free binary blob device drivers, the availability
>> of non-free binary blobs is somewhat better for 32 bit than for 64 bit. To
>> my knowledge, there is no 64 bit version of a browser Flash plugin.
>>
>> If you do not need Flash, and you do not use non-free binary blob device
>> drivers, 64 bit will work just as well as 32 bit.
>>
>> --
>
> Ok that's the problem, I want flash, I wait and see if someone fix that.
> ?????

You'll be waiting for a long time. Nobody can "fix" this, except Adobe.
They've been flapping their gums about releasing a 64 bit Flash plugin for
many years. I do not expect to ever see a 64 bit Flash plugin.

However, nothing stops you from installing 32 bit Firefox, which will run
just fine on a 64 bit Fedora install.