32bit vs 64bit

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Sep 17 20:51:48 UTC 2008

Bingo wrote:
> Read this for a comparison in performance for 32 bit, and 64 bit linux:
> http://bingouv.blogspot.com/2008/08/desktop-linux-performance-comparison32.html
> .
>
> To summarize, you will notice the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit
> for CPU intensive tasks. But it won't change the world. This comparison
> is based on Fedora-9.

One thing that most people undervalue is that almost none of these tests are
actually done on 32 bit and 64 bit processors, they are widely done on the same
processor (to keep thing the same) and the 32 bit test is run on a 64 bit CPU in
32 bit mode.

This is important because the big difference between 8 and 16 bit, or 16 and 32
bit was the longer registers and wider path to memory. And so the tests were run
on different CPUs. Running the test on the same CPU in two modes gives far less
improvement, and most recent tests measure only the difference between modes.

Since the three advantages of 64 bit operation are lower overhead with large
memory, ability to run larger user images, and a few more 64 bit registers, it's
not surprising that the benefits are not huge, and that many systems will just
not see any measurable difference, due to a lack of large processes or memory.
The overhead of PAE operation is generally hard to find in the noise.

Obviously there are loads which do show a larger difference, and some of those
loads are "real loads" rather than benchmarks and test cases, but for most
configurations and loads it can be "measured but not felt."

Note: this is just to remind people of the factors involved, not to agree or
disagree with anyone.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>