USB keyboard and mouse stopped working in X ?

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Thu Sep 18 15:29:04 UTC 2008

linux guy wrote:

> I installed the latest F9 updates this morning via yum update. ...
> When I got to the graphical login screen, I found the keyboard and
> mouse no longer worked. ...
>
> Any idea how this might be fixed ? ...

I found the same this morning. Grr.

$ less /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
         If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
AllowEmptyInput.

So, I added

Section "ServerFlags"
         Option      "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

to xorg.conf, restarted the X server and that did the trick.

Not fun, but fortunately not too hard to route around.

<Joe