metacity behavior plugins ?

Thomas Thurman tthurman at gnome.org
Fri Sep 19 16:07:38 UTC 2008

2008/9/19 Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>:
> I wonder if System->Preferences->personal->Session->Sewssion Options ->
> Automatically rmember running applications when you log out
> would be a step towards what you want.

Well spotted-- this was the one case I didn't mention because it's
contrary to the general principle.  In the one case of session
restoration, we do do window matching, but it's rather inelegant. We
do in fact have a general principle at present of not doing window
matching unless someone comes up with a reliable way of doing it, but
session management rather forces our hand because the specification
(namely XSMP) currently requires us to restore windows.

Many people, including me, have said that this is a daft idea, because given
 * the user
 * the app
 * the WM
the WM is the least well-equipped to be able to figure out where each
window should go, yet the spec requires this to happen.  (Never mind
the security implications of the WM having to keep a list of all your
windows last time lying around on the disk.)  I would far rather
absolve the WM from this duty and instead give it to the apps, which
would really mean giving it to the toolkit.  This would also solve the
problem we have here, and make the WM simpler.

peace

Thomas