Synaptic problem. MD5 sum mismatch with all installs

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Sep 21 22:15:27 UTC 2008

Since the Fedora servers were compromised, I've been having problems with
apt-get, and synaptic. I think I've got the apt-get problems resolved, but
trying to install a package using synaptic results in problems. The package
will download ok, but I get the following post download.

Preparing

While Installing package phasex-0.11.1-5.fc9:

error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/bin/phasex;48d6bc 19:
cpio: MD5 sum mismatch.

If I were to do an apt-get install phasex, it would install ok, but for some
reason synaptic is giving these MD5 sum mismatch errors, and won't install
the package. this is only since the Fedora servers were compromised.

I've never had any problems with apt-get, and synaptic before, and have been
using them since Fedora Core 1.

As a last resort I did an apt-get remove synaptic, followed by a yum remove
apt, then deleted the remaining apt directories (/var/cache/apt,
and /etc/apt).

Now to re-install apt with yum install apt, and followed by apt-get install
synaptic. I still get the same MD5 sum mismatches when trying to install
phasex (as an example) with synaptic.

Any suggestions as to how to deal with these MD5 sum mismatches that I'm
getting from synaptic?

Prior to the Fedora servers being compromised, both apt-get, and synaptic were
working with no problems, but there seems to be a lot of stuff hitting the
fan at the moment when trying to use synaptic.

Always gratefull for help when I'm really stuck with a problem I can't fix.

Nigel.