pursley001 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 24 19:58:55 UTC 2008
I am starting to do some more advanced automated maintenance on my
system but can't find a nifty way to do something and was wondering if
anyone out there can help me with this. I am configuring my system to
do an automated backup of all my data (2 to 4 hours per week) but need
it to do certain things to protect the process.
For an unattended process, I need to know how to:
1. Force all users currently logged on to be logged off (preferably
with at least a 5 minute notice).
2. Prevent anyone from logging on.
3. Prevent the system from being shut down or rebooted.
4. Shut down the X server (speeds up processing time considerably).
5. After finished to restart X server and allow shutdown and logins.
If anyone knows any commands to do at least some of these, I would
appreciate knowing how. The part about shutting down the X server is
optional but would be nice but not allowing anyone to be logged in and
preventing system shut down is necessary.
More information about the users