Switching to KDE (was kde or gnome)

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Tue Sep 30 00:42:48 UTC 2008

At 07:34 PM 9/29/2008, Claude Jones wrote:

>I think you really don't understand a basic point, here - KDE 4
>is not an evolution of KDE from 3, it's a fairly radical re-write
>of much of the code from the ground up. The point being, they
>didn't start with KDE 3.5 and 'evolve' the code to 4; nothing was
>taken out of anything, because they pretty much started afresh.
<<<<<

Good evening, Claude.

I understand it perfectly!  And if the ability to rearrange icons is
likely to show up in an early release, I'm perfectly happy.  But,
such an ability is so basic to just about any desktop that I found it
really odd that it wasn't there.

(I'm told that you can sort icons within panels.  I haven't figured
out how to use panels yet ... and as for the one that comes up by
default in a fresh KDE install, I must have clicked on something
because it's gone and I haven't yet figured out how to get it back.)

It would have been nice to have the option of reverting to KDE3 in an
official, supported way... maybe something like "yum groupremove kde"
and "yum groupinstall kde3", until such time as KDE4 becomes more
nearly as feature-rich as KDE3 was.

But, no problem, I'll wait...

Could you please do me a favor and point me to some of the websites
that explain all of the rationale behind what they did for KDE4?  I
looked around www.kde.org and didn't really find anything
specifically on-point.