Easy Fedora administration... why not?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Apr 1 12:21:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:35:59 +0200
Valent Turkovic wrote:

> AFAIK eBox gives you a is web interface for easy configuration of
> Ubuntu/Debian boxes, it is like Webmin on crack :)

My impression of every "easy" linux admin interface I've ever seen
it that it requires millions of man hours to create a useful interface
which will be used by newbies 3 or 4 times till they learn it takes
10 times longer to bring up the fancy interface than it does to
just use vi to edit the dadgum /etc/resolv.conf file (or whatever
file is involved :-).

Then the linux developers, terrified that someone might have learned
how to administer a system decide they need to rip everything apart
and utterly change it - changes which are never reflected in the
easy admin interface (things like network -> NetworkManager,
xorg.conf -> weird /etc/fdi files for hal, etc).