Bouts of Extreme System Slug

Oliver Ruebenacker curoli at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:55:11 UTC 2009

     Hello Terry, All,

2009/4/1 Terry Snyder <tes215 at psu.edu>:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  How can I diagnose what causes the sluggishness?
>>
> Use the Dell Diag/Utility disk that came with the system, and do a hard
> drive scan from that.  It will tell you if there is bad sectors on the
> drive.  If it is still under warranty then dell will replace your drive.

  I got the laptop from my employer, not sure if I ever got such a
disk. I'll ask there.

>  You should also be able to look at the system logs and see if SMART is
> throwing any errors when it is trying to read or write to the drive.

  You mean "grep smart /var/log/messages"? Seems only to show startup
and shutdown entries.

  Thanks!

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
BioPAX Integration at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/biopax)