Easy Fedora administration... why not?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 1 16:39:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 02:39 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 08:21 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > Then the linux developers, terrified that someone might have learned
> > how to administer a system decide they need to rip everything apart
> > and utterly change it - changes which are never reflected in the
> > easy admin interface (things like network -> NetworkManager,
> > xorg.conf -> weird /etc/fdi files for hal, etc).
>
> We've seen this with Webmin and Linuxconf.  After a while, the things it
> controls change, yet it doesn't keep step.  It could only control things
> if you didn't hand modify files, as it required the config files to be
> formatted in a very specific way (e.g. with indented spaces, and special
> comments, and command options in specific orders).  That also precluded
> letting any other application modify configuration files, for the same
> reason.
----
Yes obviously on linuxconf...probably way before 70% of the list users
experience.

Webmin, true to some extent but I use it anyway and I love it.

Yes, Webmin will rearrange my highly organized smb.conf if I were to use
it to make changes to smb.conf but I don't. For other things, such as
maintaining named.conf, dhcpd.conf, I wouldn't want to live without it
though I could. But I've never seen Webmin render 'conf' files unusable
- just that it has its own method of rearranging and in my case, where I
pretty much have a determined setup that doesn't much vary from network
to network, it's just easier to maintain using a normal text editor and
keep it in the organization that makes sense to me.

Craig

believed to be clean.