Help to sort a multimedia system??? (still) [FIXED]

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 20:43:52 UTC 2009

> Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:14:12 +0200 From: Kevin Kofler
> <kevin.kofler at chello.at> Subject: Re: Help to sort a multimedia
> system??? (still) To: fedora-list at redhat.com Message-ID:
> <gqrcn4$rqj$8 at ger.gmane.org> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset=us-ascii DB wrote:
>> > Hi Kevin, did that, restarted, switched off overnight & restarted this
>> > morning. Still getting the Phonon startup message that "SIS SI7012 with
>> > CMI9738 doesn't work. Reverting to Pulse"
>>

> Then somehow your device preferences got messed up. Go to System Settings
> and make sure that PulseAudio is the default (i.e. listed first). (Note
> that there are entries for both "PulseAudio" and "PulseAudio sound server".
> The first is the native PulseAudio xine-lib backend, the second is the ALSA
> PulseAudio plugin. Both should work, but the native one (the one saying
> just "PulseAudio") is preferred.)
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Thanks Kevin, that seems to have been the last piece of the jigsaw... at
least until we upgrade to F11!

 From this experience, it seems that there are many places wheere we
need to arrange & select options for Multimedia - would ther be a way to
hit them all via one script or small app?

Tim: thanks for your clarification of sinks & sources,  it seems that
the more we try to be precise with our terminology, the more worms crawl
into the can!

Thanks again for getting my sounds & pictures working!

Dave