dnsmasq configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 2 05:21:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 09:27 +1100, Simon Slater wrote:
> After a reboot I got the message:
>
> dnsmasq failed to bind DHCP server socket: address already in use.

Which may be that something *else* is using it, or that dnsmasq is
starting up in a way that causes problems with itself.  I've seen that
sort of thing when there's a network with IPv4 and IPv6 addressing in
use, and a service starts up.  It listens to both, and while starting up
complains that the port's already in use while trying to listen to the
second interface (which is really the first, with the IPv6 type of
addresses, as well as IPv4).

> In the startup sequence as it scrolls on the screen, dnsmasq is near
> the end, but is running:
> [root at dell ~]# service dnsmasq status
> dnsmasq (pid 2613) is running...
>
>         So is the problem with the configuration or at startup?  How
> do I find what is conflicting for the socket address?

man netstat

e.g. netstat -antuevp

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r