Fedora 3, 4 and 6 - Remote Upgrade Advice?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Apr 2 14:20:32 UTC 2009

Gabriel - IP Guys wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Thank you for reading my message. I have to upgrade three linux boxes,
> that are FC3,4 and 6. Now, the problem that I have is that these
> machines have other services running on them, and I do not want to break
> anything.
>
> All three servers are in two collocation facilities, and I believe that
> the safest method, is to move all services off from the machines, and
> also remove all software to make the machines as stock as possible. I
> then plan to run yum upgrade a few times until I'm up to date with the
> repo, and then follow that with a yum upgrade - rinse, and repeat until
> I'm at FC8 - I'll wait until 11 is in beta before I move forward to FC9.
> I would appreciate any help or comments that you have.

I'm not sure I would do 'yum upgrade'.  But, with the systems being
remote I don't know what other options there are on systems that old.
I've got several systems I've upgraded (via media) from FC2 up to F9
without trouble.

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support