Building gcc and NS-2 Problems

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Apr 3 23:27:40 UTC 2009

John wrote:
> Is there a c compiler included in the ISO fedora 10 disk install?

The Fedora 10 DVD does in fact include the gcc package. The live CDs don't,
there's no room for it on them.

> Should I be building gcc?  That seems to need a c compiler too.
> I have downloaded that package and tried, but failed with similar
> results.

What I don't get is why you can download the source code, but not the RPM
from the repository.

Of course you may have to do some dependency hunt (i.e. download some more
packages required by gcc, or -devel packages required to build NS-2 - hint:
just because a library is installed doesn't mean you can compile software
using the library, support for compiling software is provided in separate
packages with a -devel suffix) though.

        Kevin Kofler