"Safely remove" USB stick

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Apr 3 23:39:54 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> It's a little disappointing that the light does not go out on my USB
> stick, as it does in Windows when I click on Safely Remove.

Some USB devices expect to be "ejected" for some reason. KDE does not do
that, as it doesn't make sense to "eject" a USB device (at least not until
USB ports start shooting the sticks at you ;-) ). But it probably should,
given the devices which expect to be sent an "eject" event. (At least some
versions of the iPod are reported to actually complain if you unplug them
without "ejecting" them first.)

        Kevin Kofler