Yum issues..

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 4 03:07:52 UTC 2009

> Not sure I understand.   What do you mean by 'live'?
>
> As mentioned above, I can no longer read my DVD drive or USB's,
> only HD is available.
>
> Is there not an RPM or anything I can download and invoke just
> to get the system and services back in place?
----
Fedora 10 has live-cd and full DVD, either of which can be used to
install Fedora 10 or update to Fedora 10.

If you cannot boot a CD or DVD and if you cannot boot from USB port
(i.e. like a USB thumb drive or USB hard disk drive), your options are
very few.

Using yum to upgrade from Fedora 5 to Fedora 9 or Fedora 10 might have
been possible while you had interim releases available in repositories
(i.e. Fedora 6, 7, 8) but I think they have all been removed. Thus one
would have to make it in a very big leap which would require luck, much
knowledge and my expectations of me being able to pull that off would be
minimal.

Just in case you feel you want to try to pull it off (and I seriously
don't know how you are going to do that), you will definitely want to
read this information really carefully...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

There is a major gotcha at Fedora 7 where the ata subsystem is replaced
by scsi so your drives change from /dev/hda to /dev/sda, etc. which
affects booting (grub) and fstab and it's clearly a fail point. You
would also have to find some mirror somewhere that didn't purge the old
versions of Fedora 6/7/8 so you could interim step each upgrade.

Now I'm somewhat unclear what you're asking about getting the system and
services back in place...do you mean trying to make Fedora 5 work again?
I wouldn't know what's broken other than some tinkering
with /etc/yum.repos.d files which could probably be fixed but the
problem remains that even if you had them back to their original
settings, they would still fail because the Fedora repositories for
Fedora 8 and before have been removed.

Craig

believed to be clean.