F10 locked up while installing dl'd updates

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Apr 5 15:10:05 UTC 2009

First I must say that the F10 freezup, was not F10's fault, but a continuing
problem I have with my Asus M2N-X Plus mobo, as it happens with other
distros.

Back to the plot.

While the updates on F10 were installing, the machine decided to freeze. No
keyboard, no mouse, no nothing, except a static image on KDE, like a
screenshot. I had no alternative, but to press the reboot button.

When I've had this happen on Debian installs, I run apt-get dist-upgrade, and
apt-get complains, telling me to run, dpkg-reconfigure -a. This fixes the
problem with packages that were partially installed when the machine froze
up, then running apt-get dist-upgrade again, the remaining packages are
installed.

When F10 rebooted, I ran apt-get dist-upgrade (I use apt on Fedora), but
apt-get complained about dependency problems due to duplicate packages on the
system.

Apt-get gave the following errors.
E:  Transaction set check failed
E:  Handler silently failed

I tried various suggestions from apt-get, like, apt-get --fix-broken install,
with no success.

After a serious session of rpm -e on the various packages that had duplicates,
some 3hrs later, I had reduced the list of problem packages to zero, and ran
apt-get dist-upgrade again, which now continued with installing the remaining
packages.

The question is, is there some command I could have used on Fedora, similar to
the Debian, dpkg-reconfigure -a, which is able to resolve problems with
partially installed packages, when you get a power out, or in my case, the
machine decides to freeze up, while installing the updates.

I had a good look in the man page for rpm, but couldn't see anything there
that might help, but there may be other commands not in the man page of
course.

As usual, thanks for any suggestions.

Nigel.