Wake-on-LAN

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 17:29:30 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Has anyone experience with WOL under Fedora?
> If so, how exactly do you put the machine to sleep,
> and how exactly do you wake it up remotely?
>
> I recently acquired an HP ML110 server (G5 Xeon 3065).
> This is said to have Wake-on-LAN capability,
> but when I suspend it to RAM I do not seem able
> to wake it remotely.
>
> Should one (or can one) suspend to disk for this purpose?

The OS doesn't need any support for WOL, all the settings are done in
the BIOS.
Sometimes it's a setting that only says "low power mode" - when it's
enabled, no power is sent to the network card while the computer is
asleep, so no wakeup is possible. A simple way to check is to look at
the NIC while your computer is in sleep - the ethernet connection
light(s) should be on