"Safely remove" USB stick

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 03:43:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 04:10 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > What's your point? F5 causes a status message to appear for a few
> > seconds, after which it vanishes again. It makes no difference at all to
> > the remount behaviour.
>
> The point is to press F5 after you remounted the drive.

This makes sense if you remount using the Places menu from the existing
window (rather stretching the meaning of "sense" since there's no reason
it couldn't just refresh on its own). If you do it from the Notifier or
from the Kickoff menu you get a new window, i.e. the visual end result
of mounting the drive depends on how you do it. This is to my mind a
bug, and the way to remove it is by a) closing the window when the drive
is unmounted or b) re-opening the existing window when remounting,
independantly of how this is done. (In this case the window should also
refresh on its own, see above.) I would expect the easiest solution to
implement would be (a) though I know you've said you don't like it. I
also removes the ambiguity about whether or not a Dolphin window
actually represents anything, which I think would be less confusing to
the user.

OT: Here's some more "interesting" behaviour. I have the Places menu
detached from the main window (no particular reason, I was just playing
with it once and left it that way). Now if the Places menu is not
contiguous with the Dolphin window, moving the mouse cursor to the
Places menu causes the latter to hide behind any other random window it
happens to be on top of, making it impossible to click on without moving
stuff out of the way. I can't decide if this is a bug or a feature. I
have "focus follows mouse" if it matters.

poc