OT - advice on async I/O pls

T. Horsnell tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 10:29:22 UTC 2009

Apologies for this off-topic post. Pls point me elsewhere if
there's a more suitable list.

I'm using sendto and rcvfrom to handle a UDP connection to a
remote host. I send a msg using sendto, and then wait for
a reply using recvfrom, but I would like to be able to rapidly
timeout the rcvfrom if the remote host is down.

The async I/O set of commands aio_* offer what looks like
the perfect solution, but they require that I use aio_read
and aio_write (equivalent to read(2) and write(2) ) rather
than sendto/recvfrom.

I'd rather not sit in a loop waiting for a reply with
non-blocking I/O enabled. I'd much prefer to use blocking
I/O and have the recvfom come back to me either when the
input has completed, or it has timed out.

Any suggestions how I might achieve this?

Cheers,
Terry