strange time zone setting

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 01:58:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-05 at 16:37 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Suddenly, hardware time on my laptop (in the BIOS) has to be set to UTC
> > time for the time in GNOME can be in CDT (US) time.
> >
> > I don't know how this happened or how to fix it. I don't see how one can
> > set the time zone for the BIOS so it is all very myterious.
> >
> > Any enlightenment out there?
> >
> Check /etc/sysconfig/clock and see what UTC is set to.
>
> Mikkel
/etc/sysconfig/clock is set to America/Chicago
I fixed this by setting the hardware clock to localtime using hwclock
command. But I don't know how it got set to UTC in the first place. In
was not that way last week.

When you jump for joy, beware that no-one moves the ground from beneath
your feet. -- Stanislaw Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net