Firefox default problem -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 6 20:57:09 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 13:05 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I accidentally typed "VNC" when I meant "VLC" when Thunderbird asked
>> me how to open a .wmv file and to make matters worse I clicked on the
>> box to always do that!
>>
>> Now I can't find how to undo that selection.
>>

> Does Thunderbird have a mimeTypes.rdf file in your profile, like Firefox
> has?  If so, you could modify the action for wmv, manually.  Ensure the
> program is not running at all while you do this.
>
> Firefox's:  ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/mimeTypes.rdf

In /home/bobg/.thunderbird/inggc4ck.default/mimeTypes  I changed vnc to
vlc on two lines which then caused it to once more ask me what
application I wanted to use!

      <RDF:Description
    RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:video/x-ms-wmv"

    NC:path="/usr/bin/vlc"

    NC:prettyName="vlc"

And that fixes the problem, I selected vlc and the file played.

Thanks for the help.

Bob