Editor to program in C

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Apr 7 11:45:23 UTC 2009

On 04/04/2009 06:56 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am starting to learn how to program in C, and I am looking for a
> proper editor for that. Do you recommend Kate to me? Or is there
> something better?
Time for me to chime in. I have been using EMACs for C and C++
development for 25 years, and vi even longer. While there are other good
editors, I specifically like emacs (and xemacs) because it innately
knows about make and source control. I work on a system that has over 1
million lines of code (mostly C++).  Note only is there syntax coloring,
but it matches parentheses and curly braces. It also can be set for
automatic indentation (K&R style is the default). Additionally, emacs
supports multiple windows. You can have them line up horizontally or
vertically. Normally, when I do a compile, the compilation results are
displayed in a windows. In addition, the dired feature sets emacs to
behave like a file manager. Additionally, I routinely to finds and
greps. Yes, emacs is not easy to lean, but it is extremely rich, has
modes for most computer languages as well as HTML and XML. While I
certainly am set in my ways, I could not practice my profession as a
software engineer without emacs. But, I don't want to belittle vi and
vim. I use vi especially when accessing files on a non-local server.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix