Need help with Reboot cause

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:17:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Peter J. Stieber <developer at toyon.com> wrote:
> This is going to sound vague, but here goes...
>
> I have a dual opteron system that has been acting as the worldly node for a
> small cluster of computers since September, 2004.  The machine is running
> the latest x86_64 Fedora 10 kernel that I recently loaded (April 2).  The
> machine reboots without warning.  I can't find the cause in log files (maybe
> I'm not looking in the correct log).
>
> I'm currently running memtest.  If all of the tests pass, could the
> community suggest other diagnostic tasks or information I could post to help
> diagnose the problem?
>
> I wish I could be more specific,
> Pete

I had a similar problem with a machine. It would reboot and go through several
reboots before it would give me a login screen. Then it would crash without
warning. It was a bad memory module; the machine would boot fine with one, but
not with two modules.
If you have more than one memory module test by using one at a time. Maybe
memtest will give some info.

~af