plea for tar-1.21

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 17:14:42 UTC 2009

Greetings;

Booooo, hissss

Once again, in the last weeks updates, fedora has screwed the moose and
changed the disk device major:minors enough that tar-1.20, which knows nothing
of the '--no-check-device' option, now thinks that every file on the system is
brand new.  This drives amanda up a tree and she falls out on her head as all
levels of backup are now level 0.

We have been through this particular dog and pony show circus several times
since the FC2 days when it first bit me, and its getting VERY old.  I let
yumex update the device manager stuffs 2 days ago cuz somebody said it had an
attack vector available.  It shouldn't have bothered me because I learned my
lesson well and have no LVM's in my system.  None, nada, zip.

Please, either stabilize the device mapping (BTW, how did you do that when I
didn't even reboot?) or give us a version of tar that can cope with it.
According to the ChangeLog, it will take 1.21 to do that.

Yeah, that is booing you hear from the cheering section of the cheap bleacher
seats.  You're killing me with this picking of device numbers from a damned
rand() hat.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)