Chown ???

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Thu Apr 9 18:12:26 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> I don't think anything has had a fast pace change like the Computer.
>>> Then you had to really get into the nuts and bolts of a computer to
>>> get one working.
>>> I also still have a dual 8" floppy drive that was big back then.
>>> I can remember when the 3 1/2, 1.4mb floppy first came boy did that
>>> make a big difference.
>>
>> Dear me, all you youngsters prattling on about these new-fangled
>> "microprocessors". The first system I managed was a PDP-11/45.
>
> Got ya beat.  First managed a Univac (can't recall the model), moved to
> an S/360, Burroughs Medium System 12, Xerox Sigma 7, DG Nova 2/10, DEC
> PDP-8, PDP-11/45 and VAX 11/785, THEN got the Altairs and IMSAIs (and
> Amigas and clones and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!).
>
> And now, back to the real topic.  (What was it again? I forget...)
> -- Rick

I'm enjoying all this reminiscing about old times.
When I was younger (a teen ager), my father bought our first computer.
A "Tandy Radio Shack Model I" computer.  It came with 8k of memory and a
tape device to save and load programs.  When available my father bought
the upgrades to expand to 64k of memory and several floppy drives.

I learned how to program and write in BASIC and Assembly language for
the 8080...

James