Chown ???

psmith johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:55:53 UTC 2009

James Kosin wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> Dear me, all you youngsters prattling on about these new-fangled
>>> "microprocessors". The first system I managed was a PDP-11/45.
>>>
>> Got ya beat.  First managed a Univac (can't recall the model), moved to
>> an S/360, Burroughs Medium System 12, Xerox Sigma 7, DG Nova 2/10, DEC
>> PDP-8, PDP-11/45 and VAX 11/785, THEN got the Altairs and IMSAIs (and
>> Amigas and clones and lions and tigers and bears, oh my!).
>>
>> And now, back to the real topic.  (What was it again? I forget...)
>> -- Rick
>>

> I'm enjoying all this reminiscing about old times.
> When I was younger (a teen ager), my father bought our first computer.
> A "Tandy Radio Shack Model I" computer.  It came with 8k of memory and a
> tape device to save and load programs.  When available my father bought
> the upgrades to expand to 64k of memory and several floppy drives.
>
> I learned how to program and write in BASIC and Assembly language for
> the 8080...
>
> James

my first computer was a spektrum 48k, it used a casette tape for storage
and had great games like jet set willy and saboteur, we also used one at
primary school where i started to learn to program spektrum basic, the
first ever program being

10 print "phil is cool"
20 goto 10
run

lol, and we also learned logo with the edinburgh turtle that used was to
plot drawings on the floor that you had programmed in. so obviously i'm
not as old as some of you but i' ve still been around a bit lol :D

phil