samba printer sharing broken?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 11 01:07:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 20:59 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've got a printer on my fedora 10 system which is supposedly
> shared in smb.conf. I could print to it from Windows XP the
> last time I tried (which was probably back in fedora 8
> days the last time I did my taxes with Windows software :-).
>
> I wanted to print my stoopid taxes from Windows today and
> found that samba shared printers no longer seem to work.
>
> I did finally get the printer to work on Windows XP by
> using the CUPS printer interface instead to define the
> printer on Windows, but I was just curious if anyone knows
> if there is known problems with samba printing?
>
> (I don't have selinux turned on, and I have iptables
> set to allow all traffic on the local 192.168.1.0/24
> network, so I can't see either of them being the problem).
>
> Here's the smb.conf printers sections I've copied from release
> to release over the years:
>
> [printers]
> 	comment = All Printers
> 	path = /var/spool/samba
> 	printable = Yes
> 	browseable = Yes

----
decided to go fishing instead of looking at cups & samba logs? Where
does the process break?

Regarding the above, newbie type question with no real evidence of
actual research, it might suggest that Windows users wouldn't have write
permissions to /var/spool/samba whose permissions might change with
samba package updates.

Craig

believed to be clean.