How do I rip this sort of audio stream ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Apr 11 20:46:39 UTC 2009

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 11:31 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>> Linuxguy123 wrote:
>>> I'd like to rip the audio stream that plays (with Totem) when I press
>>> the "Listen" button on this page so that I can listen to it later in the
>>> day.
>>>
>>> http://streamingradioguide.com/streaming-schedule.php?station=KKFT&service=FM
>>>
>>> I can listen to it live just fine with Totem.  How could I record it so
>>> that I could listen to it later as an MP3 ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> LG
>>>

>> Have you tried streamripper? I've not used it in a long time, I'm not
>> even sure it's actively developed any more. (If it is, I apologize to
>> the devs...)
>
> streamripper is still active.  "yum list streamripper" is your friend.

My friend tells me he has no such package, at least for FC9 and FC10, so "still
active" has to be taken as "in some third party repo" rather than in fedora.

> The problem is that these sort of audio streams play with a flash player
> and you must intercept the feed with something that is capable of
> playing a flash stream.  I don't believe that streamripper can do that.
> But mplayer appears to be able to. :)
>
> See Sam's reply for more details on the whole process.

I think mplayer is the better answer. I'm waiting for the new ffmpeg library to
be a bit more available, probably a lot of things will get rebuilt and enhanced.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>