Fedora 9's tmpwatch never clears out my /tmp directory

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 12 19:55:23 UTC 2009

Does anyone else notice the same thing as I do:  The Fedora 9 tmpwatch
cron job never clears out the /tmp directory (nor does it do anything if
I run the script manually).  It's supposed to remove files that haven't
been modified or accessed in 30 days (the default, I believe, as I don't
recall shortening the time period).

I've checked that updatedb.conf excludes the /tmp directory, and I don't
know of anything else that would go accessing all the files in there.
Looking at the access times (ls -ltu /tmp/) does show the files have
been looked at recent enough to not be deleted, though there's two wierd
exceptions which I can't explain their dates, and why they're not
deleted:

drwx------ 2 gdm  gdm   4096 1970-01-01 09:30 orbit-gdm
drwx------ 2 tim  tim   4096 1970-01-01 09:30 orbit-tim

/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch
------------------------
#! /bin/sh
flags=-umc
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" -x /tmp/.X11-unix -x /tmp/.XIM-unix \
        -x /tmp/.font-unix -x /tmp/.ICE-unix -x /tmp/.Test-unix 10d /tmp
/usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" 30d /var/tmp
for d in /var/{cache/man,catman}/{cat?,X11R6/cat?,local/cat?}; do
    if [ -d "$d" ]; then
        /usr/sbin/tmpwatch "$flags" -f 30d "$d"
    fi
done

/etc/updatedb.conf
PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS = "yes"
PRUNEFS = "auto afs gfs gfs2 iso9660 sfs udf"
PRUNENAMES = ".hg .svn"
PRUNEPATHS =
"/afs /media /mnt /net /sfs /tmp /udev /var/spool/cups /var/spool/squid /var/tmp /home/temp"

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.