how to add stuff to crontab without using crontab -e

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Apr 13 03:35:59 UTC 2009

On 12Apr2009 20:23, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
| I want to know if it is possible to edit/append to crontab without
| using crontab -e.  I have about 10 machines running Fedora and at the end
| of the day I have to manually power them off (shutdown).  For a while,
| I started thinking about it, well I can make a crontab to shutdown the
| machines at a certain time:

Something like:

  #!/bin/sh
  set -ue
  tmp=/tmp/crontab$$
  crontab -l >"$tmp"
  echo "15 16 * * 1-5 /usr/bin/poweroff >/dev/null 2>&1' >>"$tmp"
  crontab "$tmp"
  rm "$tmp"

maybe? Untested, but you get the idea I'm sure.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task.
- Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research