Total Number of Emails Managed By Thunderbird

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Apr 13 20:00:40 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 13:41 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> Providing a total count in all folders could be very costly. First,
>> what about imap where you have a server that can store thousands of
>> emails for you, then local folders. Take my case where I have over 150
>> local folders consisting of emails I have received over 20 years.
>
> Wouldn't it just be counting the totals from the index of each folder,
> not counting all the messages?

Not if some of the folders aren't local (e.g. on an IMAP server and
haven't been pulled down, etc.).  You'd have to ask the server for its
count as well which can take some time and not all servers implement the
full set of client commands.
-  Perseverance:  When you're too damned stubborn to say "I quit!"   -