Firefox 3 hogging 90% CPU, can anything be done about this?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Apr 14 01:47:45 UTC 2009

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:51:58 -0700
> Hugh Caley wrote:
>
>> Sometime after opening Firefox 3 in Fedora 10 it will start grabbing 90%
>> of the CPU until it is closed again.  I am running FlashBlock but that
>> only seems to delay the time somewhat until the cpu goes to 90%.
>>
>> Is there nothing else that can be done about this?  If Adobe won't fix
>> the problem, don't we have to do something?
>
> What does Adobe have to do with Firefox?

They build plugins for Firefox.  Flash or Adobe reader are the two most
popular.  Both seem to have problems causing Firefox to become resource
hogs.  The work arounds are to find other tools to handle the task (like
xpdf instead of adobereader, etc).  I've not have good luck with the
free Flash replacements though.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com