Fcron

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 14 17:40:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 15:29 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > Has anybody used it?  Anybody like it?  Anybody have anything to say
> > about it at all?
> >
> Sounds like it has much in common with anacron which already comes
> with fedora.

It does have much in common with anacron, but anacron lacks one feature
which would be very useful: the ability to get it to start running its
jobs when commanded to.  I do a fair amount of audio transcription, and
system housekeeping creates too much of a load to allow it to record
audio reliably.  So I would sometimes like to sometimes get system
housekeeping over with immediately.  This is possible with anacron: log
in as root; kill the instance of anacron started at system startup; then
run "anacron -n".  But it's rather tedious, and fcron provides tools to
do this.  So...

Any info about fcron would be very welcome.

jon