Firefox 3 hogging 90% CPU, can anything be done about this?

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Tue Apr 14 17:47:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 05:15:26PM -0700, Hugh Caley wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:26:39 -0700
>> Hugh Caley wrote:
>>

>>> Problem:  After running Firefox for a time (a few minutes to 30
>>> minutes) it will start taking 80%+ of CPU (as shown in top) and will
>>> keep taking it until I restart the browser.  This machine is running
>>> Fedora 10 32-bit. Firefox firefox-3.0.8-1 flash-plugin-10.0.22.87
>>
>> That does make it sound like a Flash problem.
> I'll try noscript, but I'd REALLY like Fedora/RedHat/Mozilla people to
> work on the problem.....

Reading this and inspecting my system I suspect that this
is related to the content of sites you visit and not
a true bug in FF, Fedora, Mozilla....

I recently played with a Photoshop share format and noticed
that the animation and audio (flash based) continued to run on hidden tabs
and also in frames and other blocks on the page.   Do make sure
you have not inadvertantly left a camera or microphone open/on.

I have also seen java and javascript error of very stupid types.  Do run
a javascript validator on the page and links.   FWIW, the most common
error I used to see is something like "if (a = 2) then...."  in contrast
to "if (a == 2) then..."

For a time these bugs were so common at a company I once worked at that
that when I looked I discovered they were all related to a development
tool used in IT.   Of interest they did not manafest as errors on IE.

i.e. the bug may be in pages you visit not in
FF, Fedora, etc...

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?