Virtualization for Beginner

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 15:55:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Erik P. Olsen <epodata at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, maybe the piece of cake was a little larger than what I remember :-)
> I actually went to http://www.virtualbox.org, downloaded the package for
> Fedora and did a yum localinstall

And they don't have a pre-made version for F10 available at that site
that I can find.

In any case, the last time I attempted to install VirtualBox it was
not a piece of cake. That was about a year or year-and-a-half ago, so
I hope it has gotten much easier since then. After an hour of trying
to set up a simple network bridge for the VM to use, I gave up. An
hour of my time cost our company more than a new VMWare license. Got
the license, installed the RPM, ran the (mostly automated) setup
script, created the new virtual machine by clicking the big, friendly
button, selected "Use Bridged Networking," done. Now that was a piece
of cake.