Virtualization for Beginner

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:39:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Alan Evans wrote:
>> And they don't have a pre-made version for F10 available at that site
>> that I can find.
>>
> Fedora 9 ("Sulphur") / 10 ("Cambridge") i386 | AMD64

That's what I get for scanning over the page quickly. Didn't notice
anything that wasn't hard up against the left side.

> Setting up a bridging network connection is a matter of selecting it
> from a menu. I have set up both bridging and NAT connections in less
> then a minute.

Good. Like I said, it was a year or more ago that I tried. I was stuck
trying to follow some seemingly Debian-oriented documentation that
attempted to walk me through setting up the bridge in my host network
configs so the guest could use it. I think that I almost even got it
to work.

> The thing you are not going to find is a pre-built kernel module -
> it will compile one for you, but you have to have the kernel
> headers, gcc, etc installed.

That would be no different than VMWare. In its latest incarnation,
VMWare automatically recompiles the needed modules when they change. I
don't even need to tell it to.

If VirtualBox is now as easy as you've made it out, then I may give it
another go.