Lost Files

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 14:21:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 06:11 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009, jolmstead wrote:
> >I screwed up and now I am in a bad spot.  I hope someone can help me.  I am
> > pretty new to Linux.  I am just taking my first course and setup a laptop
> > with Fedora Core 10 and Windows Vista dual booting.
> >
> >Because of so many bugs and my lack of expertise my wife wanted me to move
> > all of her OpenOffice.org files from the Linux operating system to Vista.
> > So I thought I could just move everything from her home directory to the
> > /media/disk directory and all would be good.
> >
> >Well, from the command prompt I created a folder in /media/disk and moved
> > everything there.  Then I booted into Vista and the folder wasn't there.  I
> > thought Windows maybe can't read the directory created by Linux so I went
> > back to Linux and to my surprise it was missing from there too!  Now it's
> > nowhere to be found and I'm afraid everything she had is lost.  Does anyone
> > know of a way I can retrieve those files?
>
> I don't believe there is, unless someone has written an undelete for ext3.
There is a way to undelete ext2 and ext3 files. It is called sleuthkit.
It is a collection of programs whose operation is described in the
current issue (may 2009) of Linux Journal in an article," When Disaster
Strikes: Attack of the rm Command", by Kyle Rankin on page 30.

Since it is the current issue even non-subscribers can probably see it
on the Linux Journal web site.
When smashing monuments, save the pedstals -- they always come in handy.
-- Stanislaw J. Lem, "Unkempt Thoughts"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net