Lost Files

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Apr 24 18:36:03 UTC 2009

jolmstead wrote:
> I don't think I was clear enough on this, but the /media/disk
> location was actually the Windows Vista partition.  And, like I said,
> from the command prompt I created a folder in the root C: drive
> (which was /media/disk) and then copied everything there.  I verified
> every thing was there from the command prompt using ls and then
> removed it from the /home/user folder.  It wasn't until I booted into
> Vista that the data appeared to be lost.  Nothing was every
> interrupted and I did a standard shut down and restart to get to
> Vista.  Does this change anything or is all hope lost?
>
> Thanks, Jeremy

Have you copied files this way before with no problems?

I wonder if Vista may have moved the files because they were not
supposed to be officially there.  All my Vista experiences have been
disasters.

Look for undelete tools for Vista as well.

Another thing that I have happend in the past, is that the
drive/partition wasn't mounted and I created the directories and moved
files.  When the partition is mounted, the files are still existant but
not visible.  Boot into Linux and make sure that the Vista partition is
not mounted and check again.

I don't think udev or hal will delete files from /media.

--
Robin Laing