Lost Files (Gene Heskett)

王召峰 joggerwang at yahoo.com.cn
Sat Apr 25 04:09:36 UTC 2009

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 06:11:30 -0400
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Lost Files
To: jolmstead1 at gmail.com,    "Community assistance, encouragement, and
    advice for using Fedora."    <fedora-list at redhat.com>

On Friday 24 April 2009, jolmstead wrote:
>I screwed up and now I am in a bad spot.  I hope someone can help me.  I am
> pretty new to Linux.  I am just taking my first course and setup a laptop
> with Fedora Core 10 and Windows Vista dual booting.
>
>Because of so many bugs and my lack of expertise my wife wanted me to move
> all of her OpenOffice.org files from the Linux operating system to Vista.
> So I thought I could just move everything from her home directory to the
> /media/disk directory and all would be good.
>
>Well, from the command prompt I created a folder in /media/disk and moved
> everything there.  Then I booted into Vista and the folder wasn't there.  I
> thought Windows maybe can't read the directory created by Linux so I went
> back to Linux and to my surprise it was missing from there too!  Now it's
> nowhere to be found and I'm afraid everything she had is lost.  Does anyone
> know of a way I can retrieve those files?

I don't believe there is, unless someone has written an undelete for ext3.

/media is generally used as a mount point, and you must have a disk actually
mounted there for the files to be non-volatile.  I just did a similar thing
with a new 1 TB disk, I thought I had it mounted to /mnt/amandatapes-1-T and
ran my initialize script, then umounted it and mounted it where it really
goes.  Didn't work, it must not have been mounted correctly.  Fortunately,
there was nothing precious lost.

Basically, one should have a little paranoia and copy, then verify the copy is
there before deleting the originals.  Regardless of the OS.

>Thank you,
>Jeremy
>

>--
>This is an email sent via The Fedora Community Portal
> https://fcp.surfsite.org
> https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=340913&topic_i
>d=70420&forum=10#forumpost340913 If you think, this is spam, please report
> this to webmaster at fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame jolmstead1 at gmail.com.

At last there is one thing you can try to retrieve your wife's files:
unmount the hard disk from your laptop and put it into a mobile hard disk box,
then on aother computer use data recovery tools like "EasyRecovery" to get your lost date back,
Good luck!