determining this UUID stuff

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Apr 26 16:12:34 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 01:31 -0700, jdow wrote:
>
>> $blkid /dev/sda1
>> /dev/sda1: LABEL="/boot-7" UUID="bfe129cd-8087-4c0b-aad1-08508b7adee2"
>> SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
>>
>> It works by partition not drive.
> ----
> I think it is more like, you won't see the results you expect if you
> supply /dev/sdX as the argument because /dev/sdX is a physical device
> and not a block device to Linux.

No, /dev/sdX is no different then /dev/sdX# as far as device files
are concerned. It is just that they are not normally labeled if you
have a partition table. But there is no reason you could not give it
one. It is also possible to use a disk without a partition table.
While it is not common usage, there is nothing stopping you from
running mke2fs /dev/sdX and mounting the file system using mount
/dev/sdX /mnt/filesystem.

> Thus an apparent non-answer is actually the correct answer returning no
> block attributes queried for a physical device.
>
> It's apparent in the first line of the man page...
>
> NAME
>  blkid - command-line utility to locate/print block device attributes
>
> Craig

The reasion it returns no results is because the device does not
have a UUID, not because it isn't a block device.

Mikkel