Video Card for SuperMicro SuperWorkstation 5046A-XB

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Tue Apr 28 00:34:58 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone
I am building a system with the following specifications:
Chassis: SuperMicro SuperWorkstation 5046A-XB
Mainboard: Super C7X58
Processor: Intel Quad Core Xeon E5504 2GHz
Hard Drives: Western Digital 320 GB 7200 RPM Caviar SE16 Sata Hard Drive
Memory: Kingston 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

What I am now after is a video card.  I don't need anything fancy.  I
think I would be satisfied with whatever functionality that I can get
just using the apporpriate open source driver.  So, I don't mind using,
let's say an NVidia card.  I further don't mind completely and totally
AVOIDING any issues involved with depending on a proprietary company
keeping their proprietary binary blob in sync with the latest Kernel
updates.  I just want a card that will "Just Work" the above described
system, with a minimum of headaches.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge and wisdom,
Steven P. Ulrick