Editor to program in C

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 29 16:46:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 22:41 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 April 2009, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> >On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:34:09PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> >> Emacs is my editor of choice, and I disagree it has a learning curve.
> >> <snip>
> >> vi on the other hand ;)
> >
> >Aw, crud.  I've dealt with this stupid war for 28 years.
> >
> >And just to throw gas on the fire--so I'm not pacifist, sue me--I still
> >think Emacs is overblown for an editor.  A comment I made about Emacs
> >about '82 or so on Usenet was, "If I wanted an operating system, I'd
> >get one.  Emacs has everything except the kitchen sink."
> >
> >And someone pointed out the icon for Emacs was...well, guess.
>
> Naw, couldn't be.  Say it isn't so... :)
>
> Does vim have an icon?  I've never seen it if it does, but I don't use
> anything else enough to remember the syntax.
>
> >Another valid comment about Emacs back then:  "Put your coffee cup on
> >the keyboard and roll it around; it will hit keys that all do
> >*something*."  (Problem was, probably nothing you wanted.)
> >
> >Hey, strokes for folks--the great thing about Unix/Linux was summed up
> >in another quote from those long-ago days:
> >
> >  Unix doesn't just let you shoot yourself in the foot.  It asks you
> >  what caliber you want.
>
> And I usually chose the 4 ga punt gun.  Its so heavy the only thing I could
> hit is the floor cuz I could get it propped up on my foot. ;)

And how many others here have ever even seen a punt gun?  Was yours a
muzzle loader or a breech loader?  I shot one a long time ago.  It was
in a Jon Boat, with the pole support mounted in a hole in the front
seat.  Now that was true swampbilly technology.  A whole flock of ducks
or geese in one shot!

Kinda like emacs.

Regards,
Les H